Monday, July 21, 2008

The shoeholic strikes again



Shoe shopping has never been more pleasurable. I hate shopping for shoes in Singapore. I'm the sort who needs to try on at least ten different pairs to decide which ones I really want. When the displayed shoe is not of your size, you have to call upon Miss I-hate-selling-shoes. I think I've never asked for more than three pairs of shoes during one entire duration in a shoe shop. I always feel obliged to buy a pair. Of course I can ignore the sulk lingering till I turn my back, but the shopping experience leaves a bitter aftertaste. 

Singapore has long been regarded by locals to be a country of poor customer service where people don't smile or say thank you. Likewise, Germany has been termed a 'service desert'. This stems from the fact that self-service is the most common form of customer service. You have to clear your own dishes at any fast food restaurants. Everything a store has in stock is displayed. So when it comes to shoes, all possible sizes of all possible designs are put out. At the 'Große 36' section, I can try on as many pairs as my kiasuness to find the best pair allows. 

Finally, I've walked out of the shoe shop empty handed for once because I didn't find a pair I really like. 


No comments: