Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Did you know that ... ?

A personal list of "Oh, I didn't know that!" has been increasing exponentially since I got here. It is definitely due to subjective ignorance. Nonetheless, I wouldn't have known better unless I check the Internet compulsively for every doubt I have. 

I didn't know that ...

Persil is a German brand. It's a brand I skip in the laundry detergent section because I always thought it's Malaysian. Oops...

Sinalco is German as well. When I was in my teens, my mother mentioned once the popularity of Sinalco in the 70s and wondered where it has but gone today. Sinalco has been back on the Cold Storage shelves for a couple of years now. Its popularity is however dubious.

titles on german book spines are printed the other way round. So now, if I lay my books horizontally on the shelves, the back covers are on the top instead. Hmmm...

Germans can be more tardy than Singaporeans. I assumed previously that Europeans are very particular about appearing groomed. Interestingly, a German phrase - "Niveau haben" can be literally translated as "got standard". Oh man, I feel quite at home. Anyhow, presumptions are always proven wrong somehow. When I visited the town council, I was surprised to see the counter aunties wearing T-shirts and jeans. Most of the Mister's colleagues wear jeans to work on a daily basis even though they work at the desk. Some have been spotted wearing bermudas on warm weekdays. 

people here wear suits only on Sundays. This is something that puzzles not only me, but the Mister as well. We've spotted many men wearing suits in the town on Sundays, looking like they had just attended a major conference. 95% of the people here don't work on Sundays. 

grey is more common here than black and white. 

No comments: