Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Finally, a valid excuse


MIA Cause - DIY Reno

We've inherited a set of dining table and chairs from the previous tenant. 



After spotting a photo in a design book of two glossy red and white chairs in a kitchen, I decided that I too would like to disguise the Ikea-ness of the inheritance. So I've started two weeks ago and ... I'm not done. Two chairs need another coat paint. The other two should probably be redone. Noooo... As with every DIY project, you are so heated up at the beginning, the flame is burning at the end of the wick by the first half. I think sanding off the previous lacquer was the joy killer. Perfectionists should never attempt DIY projects unless they can afford the time to do everything at such a pace that it's impossible not to be impressed at the end, or simply money to buy a new set if a dent wouldn't allow the paint to sit smooth and it bugs them. I'm so glad I'm no longer a perfectionist. I've lost it since the day I stopped writing with a ruler above the line. I was 16 and my Math teacher spotted me doing it once. She'd asked me why. I told her I like it that the top of all the words is a straight line. It makes it look 'printed' neat. She was polite enough not to roll her eyes but probably thinking, "Freak!". Even though bubbles remain, I think I rather like my coloured chairs. 

No comments: